This particular baby project was oh-so-very scary to me. I'll be honest, I would have never been brave enough to attempt it if we could have afforded any other option. But we couldn't.
Our infant seat has been through 4 previous children and the cover was in horrible shape. Yes it was ugly, but I could have lived with that if I had to, but it had also started tearing in places. That I could not live with.
We thought about buying a new infant seat, but they are actually fairly pricey. Totally shocked my husband☺ Because he had been without work for a year, we just don't have the money to spend on a lot of new baby equipment.
So he told me to go ahead and try to re-cover the car seat we have. I spent between $12-$15 (fabric was on sale ☺) and a couple of days figuring it all out. Completely worth it to us.
I should have labeled pieces well as I took them off. It all seemed so logical until all I had were strangely shaped pieces staring up at me and then I had no clue how it had come apart. So if you attempt this, a word of advice is label, label, label! Maybe even take pictures as you take it apart.